Admission to Hospice requires a referral from the patient’s physician and the consent of the patient and/or family. The patient must reside in the Thompson Cariboo Shuswap Health Services Area or have family living within the area.
Planned admission could be considered when the family physician has determined that the patient has limited life expectancy, for short-term pain/symptom management or when respite is required for the caregiver.
The following forms must be obtained and completed by the Physician:
- Palliative Care Benefit Application Form
- MOST or DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) Form
- Referral Package - availalbe from Physician and Interior Health Community Nursing.
Your physician or community nurse will submit the paperwork to an Facility Access Coordinator at Interior Health Community Nursing Office.
The family physician will follow up with the patient after admission, if this is not possible a Palliative Care doctor will assume the care.
We recognize that this is a very difficult and stressful time. The staff of the Marjorie Willoughby Snowden Memorial Hospice Home will do everything possible to comfort and support you as you take this journey with your loved ones.
When you arrive you will be settled into your room and then orientated to the House. One of our nurses will complete an assessment and answer any questions you may have.
A few of the things that you will want to know about our home:
- Meals: we provide meals for all patients. They are prepared and cooked in the Home by volunteers and staff. If the patient does not want a full meal, we are able to accommodate other choices.
- Kitchen: Families are welcome to coffee, tea and baked goods that are available at our coffee bar in the main dining room. There is a second kitchen where families can prepare their meals or have a family gathering.
- Pets: Well-behaved pets are permitted to visit with family members; however, some rules apply and can be found in our Patient Information Booklet at each bedside.
- Overnight Stays: Family is welcome to stay overnight in their loved one’s room. Each room has a hide-a-bed and all bedding is provided.
For more information check out our Most Frequently Asked Questions.